Are you registered for VAT?
If so, you are one of the first businesses that will be affected by HMRC's new Making Tax Digital legislation.
As of 1st April 2019, digital record keeping will be mandatory for VAT. Currently all VAT returns must be submitted electronically but the transactions can be recorded in any form including on paper. The new requirements should not be underestimated as they mean all transactions will have to be recorded digitally.
Businesses will have to use 'compatible software' so that it can connect to HMRC systems. This software must be capable of:
- Keeping records in a digital form
- Creating a VAT return from the digital records held and submitting this to HMRC digitally
- Providing HMRC with VAT data on a voluntary basis
If, as a lot of owner managed businesses do, you currently use spreadsheets or paper for your VAT records, it is likely that you will need to combine these spreadsheets with, or move to another software product to comply with the new requirements. The timing of this change with your financial year end and VAT quarters can make the process far more seamless to ensure that you are ready for 1st April next year.
Please contact Mike Waterfield
0116 2423400 / firstname.lastname@example.org
Got a question?
Why not fill out our quick contact form below and a member of the team will respond shortly.
Receive our FREE monthly eNEWS, keeping you up to date with the latest news.
Registration on our website is quick and simple. On registration you will benefit from:
- Our FREE monthly eNEWS email newsletter which will keep you up to date with the latest news (this service is optional)
- On registration we'll email FREE resources to you with our compliments.
You only have to register once. You will be given a username and password that you can use at any time to log back into our website.